February is off to a flying start, so many sections of our District are helping to raise the profile of Youth Shaped Scouting.
Over the last twelve months Chester & District Scouts have created a strong line of communication with our Youth Members, giving them freedom to feedback their experiences and ideas of their Scouting Journeys. As Leaders we need to continue to encourage our Young Members to be actively involved in every aspect of Scouting; from planning to management and governance.
Five ways to… adapt an idea.
- Go small! If they want to visit the seaside can you bring it to them?
- Go big! Ideas that won’t work in a meeting often make a great basis for a day event, trip or night away experience.
- Look at the essence of what they want. Can you extract that and work it into your programme?
- Use the suggestion to theme another activity.
- For older sections, ask them to run it for a younger section.
It is important to remember that Youth Shaped Scouting shouldn’t just happen during one month of the year and that UK Scouting is focusing on February to really support our young people and volunteers to embed this traditional part of Scouting into what we do every camp, every meeting and every day.
If you have any questions or need any help/ideas please get in touch.
Let celebrate what we do locally! Please email any #Youshape stories, photos and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org.